Looking for new Monero Observer dark theme feedback
The Monero Observer will now display a different theme (light or dark) depending on your device or browser settings.
After getting a lot of feedback requesting a dark(er) theme, I was presented with a couple of choices:
- add (manually) switchable dark theme (no, requires JS)
- stick with original light theme (no alternative though)
- switch to dark theme only (there are still benefits to light theme)
- add auto switchable light/dark theme (no real cons?)
Obviously, I went with number 4.
The reasons I still plan on supporting the original light theme:
- an effort to not contribute to Monero’s stigma of being a bad crypto (used on DNMs and mainly by criminals)
- Getmonero.org official website has a default light theme and I like the legitimate feel it gives
Adding a fully switchable light/dark theme is not an option as I want to keep the website 100% JS-free.
The best thing I could find was the
prefers-color-scheme CSS media feature. Most (major) browsers should support this.
access monero.observer in a browser/device/OS that has Dark mode enabled > the site should display the dark theme
if you access the site using a browser/device with a light theme/mode, it will default to the original light theme
You should be able to set most operating systems, devices and browsers to Dark mode.
What do you think?
As always, any feedback is appreciated.